I came up with this very easy recipe after testing some recommendations from around the Web. This is the easiest recipe I've seen for producing store-quality muffins.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup veg. oil
- 1 cup flour
- 3 packets of single-serve instant oatmeal (any flavor)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, nutmeg, or some combination of the two
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white or brown sugar
- (Optional) 1 cup of dried fruit or nuts, such as raisins, currants, chopped apple, dates, and walnuts. Fruit or nuts related to the selected oatmeal flavor work best.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. F
- Grease muffin pan or line with paper cups
- Combine dried fruit/nuts, milk, 1/3 cup sugar, and oil
- In a separate bowl, mx together flour, oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon/nutmeg, allspice and salt
- Combine bowls and stir just enough to mix well
- Spoon evenly into muffin cups
- Using the remaining 1 tbsp white or brown sugar, sprinkle 1/4 tsp over the top of each muffin batter
- Bake for 20 minutes
I wouldn't mix and match oatmeal flavors, but you can probably use any instant oatmeal on the market. Creativity is key here.